Board Room Dynamics & Governance
Guidance and support in senior leadership complexities
Board room dynamics refers to the way individual board directors interact with each other in carrying out their duty as director with the objective of collectively generating economic value for the organization.
Board room dynamics involve the relationships among board members and between the board and senior management. These dynamics are manifested through the language used between these individuals, through the culture of constructive challenge and healthy debate, and ultimately through the decisions of the board itself.
It is obvious that board room dynamics are a central driver in producing strong organizational outcomes and that these board members cannot only be viewed as individuals with their own specific expertise. Rather, they must be looked at as a team. When dysfunctional relationships hinder good governance and impede sound decision making, the challenges may be enormous. This may be even more difficult when the board is a mix of both family and non-family members. It is important that senior leaders feel they are part of one single team. Their intention must be to collaborate, cooperate and work cohesively with the other members of the organization whilst also keeping their independence.
We offer support and guidance on how to improve these board room dynamics:
- How to ensure the board works in a good and efficient way?
- How to make decisions in the board room? And how to recognize the difficulty of the decision making process?
- What are good processes and tools to help design and facilitate decision making in the board room?
- What if the next CEO is not a family member (in the case of family businesses)?
- How to arrange the transfer when a (family) business goes public?
- How to properly evaluate the functioning of the board room?